Monday, April 15, 2013

Thoughts after 20K LSR

Sunday I ran my last LSR before my half on May 5th. I was originally going to do this run next week-end, but due to my work schedule, yesterday was a better option.

Thoughts:

  • My hip didn't hurt. Yay!
  • I really prefer half training in the spring rather than the summer.
  • I took a lot of extra walk breaks, but I got through the distance.
  • I really need to work on my pacing - this run was all over the place. My first two 10/1's were way too fast and slowed me down later. I am definitely going to run Goodlife with a pace bunny to keep me on track. Also going to spend the next two weeks working on keeping an even pace.
  • With all of my pacing issues, my overall pace for my run was 7:38/km. My best pace for a half marathon is 7:28/km. So I'm feeling pretty confident that even if I don't make my goal of a 2.5 half, I have a good chance of breaking my current PR (2:37:50).
  • Yesterday was the first time since the fall that I've run my favourite route through the Moore Park Ravine. It was pretty muddy, but definitely felt like a bit of a treat.

So now I'm tapering for three weeks. I'm going to work on my pacing as mentioned, work on strengthening and stretching my hip. Continue doing yoga and maybe work on hills a bit.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't worry too much about the pacing issues. It's much better to come into the race injury free, than to have personal best training paces!

    Sounds like a beautiful run!

    ReplyDelete